- 100g sourdough starter (100% hydration) (optional)
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 85g cubed butter
- 50g dried figs cut into pieces
- 50g grated cheese
- 175ml warm milk (with a squeeze lemon juice)
- Heat the oven to 220C (no fan)/200C (fan).
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and rub with your fingers until it resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the flour, add the warm milk and the sourdough (if using), and mix with a cutlery knife. Add the figs and cheese and mix them in. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and fold it two to three times.
- Pat the dough into a round about 4cm high, and cut the scones (8 to 10). Brush the tops of the scones with beaten egg or milk, and transfer to a hot tray.
- Bake until risen and golden on the top, about 10 to 12 minutes.