You can use a different type of nut (e.g. hazelnuts) for this banana cake, but it works really well with walnuts.
- 175g/6oz softened butter
- 175g/6oz sugar (half muscovado, half golden caster)
- 75g/2½oz walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- 2 VERY ripe bananas (the browner the better!)
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- A sprinkle of demerera sugar for the top
- Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas Mk 3. Line the base and sides of a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light.
- Slowly add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture, then mix in the walnuts and self-raising flour.
- Peel the bananas and chop them into small pieces. Gently fold the vanilla extract and the bananas into the cake mixture, turning gently and taking care not to overmix.
- Scoop the cake batter into the prepared loaf tin. Dust with a little demerara sugar. Bake for between 1 hour and 1 hour 10 minutes, covering the cake with foil if the top starts to darken too quickly.